Can You Document the Disability?

Learn what we look for in documentation and read our guidelines listed according to accommodation and disability.

Students must have documentation of their disability, such as a current psychoeducational evaluation or a report from a doctor. The type of documentation needed will depend on the disability and the accommodations being requested.

Examples of disabilities include blindness and visual impairments; learning disorders; physical and medical impairments, such as cerebral palsy and diabetes; or motor impairments.

Temporary medical or physical conditions—such as a broken arm—are usually not classified as disabilities. In those cases, the SSD coordinator may submit a Request for Temporary Assistance. For guidelines, please consult our page on temporary medical conditions.

Because you may be asked for documentation when requesting accommodations, please review our guidelines on providing documentation.


If the student has an IEP or 504 plan in place, do they still need to submit a request for accommodation?

Yes, Individualized Education Plans (IEPs), 504 plans, and doctor's notes are usually not sufficient by themselves. Each request must be supported by documentation, including appropriate academic and diagnostic test scores.

Read more



Temporary Medical Conditions

Guidelines for students with temporary medical conditions and their eligibility for testing accommodations.