How Accommodations Work for Each Test

These tests require SSD approval for accommodations:

  • PSAT 8/9, PSAT 10 and PSAT/NMSQT
  • AP Exams
  • SAT
  • CLEP (testing with remote proctoring)

These tests do not require SSD approval for accommodations:

  • CLEP (testing in a test center)

For tests that do not require SSD approval, requests for accommodations should be submitted to the school or test center that is administering the exam.

Keep in Mind

You must get prior approval for accommodations.

If you take a College Board exam without having prior written approval from the appropriate source (SSD, your school, or test center), then your scores may be invalidated.

Even students with an IEP or 504 plan need to request accommodations.

Most students who receive accommodations at school and request them from the College Board are approved, but they must still make the request.

More Information


Do students need to reapply for accommodations each time they take a College Board exam?

The answer is almost always no. Once approved, it is not necessary to reapply for each College Board exam. Unless we are informed that the student no longer needs them, accommodations remain in effect until one year after high school graduation.

Read more