beginning of content:

Students with temporary conditions are sometimes eligible for temporary assistance. However, temporary medical or physical conditions, such as a broken arm, are not disabilities.

If students use extended testing time or any other testing support without first receiving written authorization from the College Board’s Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD), their test scores will be invalid.

Who Should Request Assistance

In most cases, students with temporary conditions should reregister to take the test at a date when they have healed.

In certain circumstances, the College Board approves assistance for individuals with temporary physical conditions. These are examples of students who might be eligible:

  • Seniors taking the SAT. SAT takers in other grades must reregister; to learn how, contact SSD.
  • AP Exam takers whose impairment will not be resolved by the late testing dates. To order alternate exams for other temporarily impaired students, AP Coordinators should go to Test Ordering Services

How to Request Assistance

To request temporary assistance, students or their SSD Coordinators can submit the Request for Temporary Assistance (.pdf/406KB), which includes the following sections:

  • Step-by-step instructions for completing the request
  • Questions to be completed by the school
  • Questions to be completed by the student or parent
  • Guidelines for the student’s doctor’s confirmation
  • A Teacher Survey Form


This material should be faxed or mailed to the College Board as soon as the temporary impairment has occurred and been medically verified. The College Board will process temporary support forms in an expedited fashion. However, an appropriate review and determination takes time.

Individuals who submit requests or information shortly before a scheduled College Board exam may be informed that there was insufficient time to make a determination on their request.

The SSD Coordinator (or other relevant school official) receives a reply from the College Board as soon as possible, by email or fax.


In rare circumstances, a physical condition might have effects that are not permanent but are substantial and long-standing (for example, an injury might result in extensive limitations which last longer than one year). A long-standing physical condition may be considered a disability. Accommodation requests for long-standing physical conditions should be made under the regular accommodation request process. Contact SSD for further information.