Students do not need College Board approval to take the PSAT 8/9 with accommodations. PSAT 8/9 accommodations are approved by schools.
If students need nonstandard test formats, their school must order these. SSD Coordinators should work with test coordinators to order nonstandard formats and make arrangements for testing with accommodations.
For detailed instructions on administering the PSAT 8/9 with accommodations, see the Supervisor’s Manual for the PSAT 8/9.
To get the full benefit of the PSAT 8/9, we recommend that students use the accommodations that:
- Best match the accommodations they currently use to complete schoolwork or take state tests
- Meet College Board Services for Students with Disabilities criteria
Remember, students who use accommodations to take the PSAT 8/9 will still require College Board approval to use accommodations when they take other College Board assessments, including but not limited to the SAT, PSAT/NMSQT, PSAT 10, and AP Exams.
Test coordinators can easily order special formats, such as Braille and large print, on the online ordering site. You’ll have the chance to select the appropriate formats when you place your initial order. You can also add nonstandard formats to your order later by clicking the nonstandard materials Order button on your dashboard on the online ordering site.
The following nonstandard formats can be ordered at the online ordering site.
- Braille with raised line drawings (contracted)
- Large print (14, 20 ,and 24 point)
- Human reader's script
- Pre-recorded audio (MP3 via streaming)
- Assistive technology compatible test form
Some students may require extended time, extra and extended breaks, computer use, or other accommodations. See Typical Accommodations for details on available accommodations. The application of all accommodations is left to the test supervisor’s discretion based on the individual student’s existing work plans.
Extended Time on the PSAT 8/9
The PSAT 8/9 taken under standard conditions is 2 hours and 25 minutes of testing time, plus breaks. This breaks down as follows:
- 55 minutes for the Reading Test
- 30 minutes for the Writing and Language Test
- 40 minutes for the Math Test – Calculator
- 20 minutes for the Math Test – No Calculator
For 50 percent extended time, the PSAT 8/9 is 3 hours and 38 minutes of testing time, plus breaks:
- 83 minutes for the Reading Test
- 45 minutes for the Writing and Language Test
- 60 minutes for the Math Test – Calculator
- 30 minutes for the Math Test – No Calculator
For 100 percent extended time, the PSAT 8/9 is 4 hours and 50 minutes of testing time, plus breaks:
- 110 minutes for the Reading Test
- 60 minutes for the Writing and Language Test
- 80 minutes for the Math Test – Calculator
- 40 minutes for the Math Test – No Calculator